7 Common Plumbing Problems—& How to Prevent Them
Nothing ruins a relaxing day quite like a plumbing issue. Instead of enjoying your safe haven, you are now stuck dealing with a clogged drain, broken water heater, or other problem. While plumbing issues can range from the tiniest drips to fully burst pipes. No matter the size of the issue, when these unplanned interruptions are left unattended, it can lead to water damage or expensive repairs.
7 of the most common plumbing problems homeowners face are:
- Clogged bathtubs or showers
- Clogged or running toilets
- Dripping faucets
- Broken water heaters
- Garbage disposal issues
- Slow draining sinks
- Low water pressure
Preventing Frustrating Plumbing Problems
Chances are, you’ve already dealt with one of the above problems before, and the idea of going through it again sounds less than appealing. While some of the above issues can’t be stopped, there are a few tips you can follow to keep your plumbing system protected.
- Be careful about what you put down the drain: Keeping your drains and pipes clear starts by being diligent about what you put down your system. Your toilets, bathtubs, showers, and sinks can’t handle large items like tampons and baby wipes, nor can it handle items that buildup, like hair, nails, and food. Your garbage disposal is a little tougher, but needs to still be handled with care. Avoid putting grease, flour, bones, and coffee grounds down the garbage disposal to avoid clogs.
- Turn your faucets on and off slowly: Excessive force and quickly turning your faucets on and off can loosen the threads of your fixture, leading to dripping and leaking faucets.
- Schedule preventative maintenance: Not every plumbing problem can be seen on the surface and scheduling annual preventative maintenance done by a professional is the best way to ensure your entire system is running smoothly. Your plumber will check for leaks and wear and tear, as well as monitor and fix slow drains to make sure they don’t turn into major clogs or breaks.
- Keep an eye on warning signs: Small plumbing problems rarely take care of themselves. In fact, they often turn into expensive plumbing emergencies down the line. So, if you notice something small, like a slow drain, contact a professional. They can fix the issue and offer honest recommendations on how to prevent these issues in the future.
- Install a water filtration system: While it might not seem immediately helpful, a whole-home water filter can minimize the amount of limescale buildup and hard water traveling through your pipes. This extends the life of your pipes, as well as your appliances like dishwashers and washing machines, and lowers opportunities for clogs.
If you are experiencing plumbing issues in Hollywood, FL, give our team of licensed plumbers a call today. We will work with you to find long-lasting solutions that leave your home safe and comfortable. Our team goes above and beyond for all of our customers and we will offer customized services to ensure your plumbing system runs smoothly for years to come.